Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Why so Guilty?

So far, I've stuck to my menu pretty well.  

On Monday night, Scott figured out how to turn the Lemon Yogurt chicken into a pasta dish when I didn't have time to make the sides I had planned.  The pumpkin bread disappeared in 2 days. The jam bars were enjoyed the first day, but since then the kids haven't seemed too excited about the leftovers....but I like them!  I had to switch out the Cinnamon Spice Kombucha for a citrus spice one because I didn't have any apple juice, but the Russian tea turned out delicious and much more healthy than the powdered tea/Tang version I used to make.

Today, I didn't make the Pop Tarts for breakfast once I realized you have to use a food processor (not something I thought I should subject everyone to at 5:45 am), so we settled for yogurt and toast.  I also did different lunches for the kids because we didn't have as much leftover chicken as I'd expected.  Kip got a smoothie and a cinnamon sugar tortilla roll-up and Gus had leftover soup since he amazingly ended up liking the Cauliflower-Potato soup!  Scott and I did, too.  It seemed especially  yummy since it was such a gray, dreary day yesterday.

I've spent this morning baking for the rest of the week.  And while it's been quiet here at home alone, I've been trying to sort through why spending all this time in the kitchen is making me feeling vaguely guilty.


I keep glancing at the clock and thinking to myself, "Hurry up!  There are more important things you need to be doing."


So, my question is: Where is that coming from?  Is this something everyone wrestles with-always feeling that there is something else that they should be getting to?  Or is this a (mostly) stay-at-home mom complex that makes me feel like I should be contributing to society more? 

Do people with full time jobs think about this at work?  "I wish I were home 
getting this or that project done!"

Or is it because I have a legitimate part-time job that I always could be working on-grading papers or planning lessons-and I'm feeling like that "real" job is more important?


Or is it because I genuinely enjoy these "house-wifely" pursuits as a creative outlet and feel guilty about spending time on them when there's "work" to be done?



Leave me a comment if you have any wisdom on this:)
~Amy





1 comment:

Janet Mack said...

Hi Amy, it's cousin Janet,
I'm not sure where the feeling of guilt comes into it all, but I think the average stereotype is that the "housewife" or "stay-at-home" position is not one of great value. But it's just the opposite, and I think your grandparents generation was the last to really feel that way. I only had one friend when I was growing up whose mother worked. Yes, they had 2 cars, and she had the best birthday parties ever, with pony rides! Every afternoon they went to the babysitter, where I came home and most of the time was greeted with something my mom had baked. Being a homemaker is such an important gift you give to your family, worth so much more than a paycheck. Your children will benefit so much and you are creating amazing memories for them.
Happy Holidays!
love,Janet