Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Substitution success!!

Well, I have a victory to report! I have successfully made two excellent (if I do say so myself) meals sticking to my new dietary guidelines. And Scott even ate them both and liked them! My favorite was a vegetarian chili and cornbread. For anyone in the same boat, I thought I'd share the recipes....

Vegetarian Chili (from the Healthy College Cookbook--thanks, Mom!)

Olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 green peppers, diced
2 14.5 oz cans stewed whole tomatoes
2 15 oz cans black beans
1 16 oz can cooked corn
1 15 oz can kidney beans
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
2 fresh tomatoes, diced
2 cups shredded cheddar (for those blessed people who can eat it!)

1. In a large pot, saute onions and peppers in olive oil over medium heat, until they just begin to brown.
2. Add the canned ingredients, including the liquid from the cans, as well as the spices to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add tomatoes and cheese if desired.

It's soooo easy and quick and yummy and makes a ton! FYI-it's fairly spicy so I put some in a separate bowl and added another can of tomatoes to it to cut down on the kick. Of course, Scott likes it in the original form:)

Wheat, Dairy, Egg and Soy-free Cornbread (adapted from Betty Crocker)

1 cup rice milk (replaces cow's milk)
1/4 cup coconut oil (replaces butter)
3 tbsps of unsweetened applesauce (replaces 1 egg)
1 1/4 cups cornmeal
1 cup gluten free flour mix, which includes cool stuff like potato starch and sorghum flour (replaces all purpose flour)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 400. Grease 8 x 8 baking dish with coconut oil.

2. Mix all ingredients and pour into dish.

3. Cook for 20-25 minutes.

It turned out great, I thought. The consistency is a lot more dense, but the flavor is wonderful!

And I'm happy to report that Gus seems to be doing much better....he's happy, losing most of his symptoms, is now taking his formula without such a fuss twice a day, and is still nursing well. Plus, he has put himself to sleep without any help from me for his last two naps in a row!! God has been good as always.

God...is the blessed controller of all things,
the King over all kings and the master of all masters.
1 Timothy 6:15

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The verse you shared has been a foundational rock for me (as your parent:))...helping me learn that every problem is an opportunity to watch God at work...i just read the other day that 'God has no problems...only plans!!'

much love from a fellow pilgrim in the journey of motherhood,
mom