Thursday, July 9, 2015

Embracing Reality

Today, I'm having one of these days:


Coming back from vacation (hoping to do a post on that soon) is always hard for me.  The hours of relaxation always inspire me to come back and take my game to the next level.  I used to spend our car rides making lists of all the amazing things I would accomplish once I got home, refreshed and renewed.  I learned years ago that I was never able to follow through so I've quit making lists, but I still can't get away from the idea that once I get home things will be better. More productive. I will finish ALL the projects.  You know how it is.  

Then, reality sets in.

I need a vacation from the vacation.  Things get off to a slow start, but my mind is still dreaming of that new level I'm going to achieve.

For fun, let's take a look at how this plays out in my head, shall we?

I imagine our garden will look like this:


Reality:




I'll finally hang some artwork:


 Reality:


I'll finish repainting Kip's dresser:


Reality:



I will follow through on my commitment to keeping my laundry room neat:


Reality:


The front porch will be an oasis:


Reality:


Everything from the suitcases will magically get put away in beautiful, organized bins:


Reality:


We'll finish the home office we've been working on:


Reality: 


My children will be beautiful angels who cherish one another at all times:


 Reality:

This one teases... 


until this one cries.


 But then....

Sometimes I find beauty where I did not plan for it or work to make it grow.  Pure grace.  Not through any effort of mine.  Free gifts, if I will take the time to look for them and enjoy them.








Reality:





3 comments:

LifeAtTheCircus.com said...

Such a beautiful post! I know exactly what you mean and I do that so often myself... Thanks for keeping it real! Nice to know I am not alone.

Heather Deterding said...

This was hilarious and poignant all at the same time because my life is just like yours! My garden, by the way, looks wilder than yours :)

xoxo

minniemack said...

All of those projects can wait until the kids are back in school. Summers are for vacation and family time together. And not to put a damper on your motivation, but it really never all gets done. It's just a continuous work-in-progress, one step at a time! Enjoy your family and your wonderful new house!!
cousin Janet