Friday, January 4, 2008

We Dodged a Bullet

Actually, we dodged a 5 foot high 4 x 4 post! I (Scott) was doing some weather sealing under an interior window late Wednesday night. The homemade scratching post (which was still under construction; w/out a base and with the top still untrimmed) had been moved to accomodate my work and it wasn't put back as it had been. Yesterday, Kanba (the fat cat) dislodged it as he was using it, sending the post falling to the floor. Gus was sitting in his Boppy right below the post. In the picture below, his head would have been right above the pointed edge. Thankfully, Gus was sitting low enough, with only his head resting on the pillow, that the Boppy absorbed most of the impact but the post still caught Gus on the collar bone and neck. He cried for a while, but 5 minutes later seemed no worse for the wear and hasn't showed any signs of injury since. Poor Amy called me at work in a frazzled state right after it happened. She was right next to him so it must have been pretty traumatic. Obviously things could have been much worse, so we are VERY thankful. God is good. Actually, God would still be good even if Gus had been injured, so maybe the right thing to say is that God was gracious. Is that right? Anyway, again, we're so thankful. I think we both aged about three years as a result of the ordeal, however. This parenting thing can be so stressful!


The crime scene (reconstructed).

The criminal (out on bond) and his weapon (now finished).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

reminds me of the time I fell through our attic floor. I caught myself so I was half and half. If I had gone all the way through I would have fallen on Fuller's exersaucer. If it had been twenty minutes earlier, I would have fallen on Fuller!

bobw said...

wow! so glad God showed mercy to all of you. when Alice was small she fell down a flight of stairs. we were of course freaking out, but she seems fine :-)